BLS Water Cooler Cram Session 9/3/14
Who wants to watch an hour of the Mothership and their 1,500 different analysts break down the same game over and over again? We sure don’t (Unless Original #BuschBabe and BLS Favorite Jaymee Sire is anchoring). Here’s what you may have missed in the sports world yesterday.
Denver Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker has been suspended 4 games for use of amphetamines, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Welker was excused from practice on August 20th and 21st to attend an appeal hearing, sources told ESPN Senior NFL Analyst Chris Mortensen. Welker tested positive from a sample taken shortly after he attended the Kentucky Derby, where he apparently got some bad Molly, according to Pro Football Talk. Wes issued a statement in which he argued that the sample was tainted. “I’m as shocked as everyone at today’s news…I want to make one thing abundantly clear: I would NEVER knowingly take a substance to gain a competitive advantage in any way. Anyone who has ever played a down with me, lifted a weight with me, even eaten a meal with me, knows that I focus purely on what I put in my body and on the hard work I put in year round to perform at the highest levels year-in and year-out.” For Busch League Sports take on the matter click the link below.
Clayton Kershaw won his MLB-leading 17th game on Tuesday night and lowered his Major League best ERA to 1.70. Bryce Harper was the 1st left-handed hitter to take Kershaw deep this year as he provided the National’s only offense in the 4-1 loss. The Giants kept pace with Dodgers by scoring 11 unanswered runs in Colorado after being down to the Rockies 7-1.
GIANTS 12 @ ROCKIES 7
- SF – Petit (ND) 4 IP, 7 H, 6 ER. Posey 3-5, 2B, HR (19), 4 RBIs. Susac 2-5, 2B, HR (3), 3 RBIs. Blanco 3-5, 2B, RBI. Panik 2-4, 2B.
- COL – Lyles (ND) 6.1 IP, 8 H, 6 ER. LeMahieu 2-4, HR (5), 2 RBIs. Dickerson 2-2, 2B, 3 RBIs. Stubbs 2-4, 2B. Rutledge 1-4, 3B, 2 RBIs.
PIRATES 4 @ CARDINALS 6
- PIT – Locke L (6-4) 3 IP, 4 H, 4 ER. Marte 1-4, HR (10). 2 RBIs. Mercer 1-4, HR (9), RBI. Martin 1-4, HR (8), RBI. Lambo 2-4, 2B.
- STL – Wainwright W (16-9) 6 IP, 7 H, 4 ER. Peralta 1-3, 2B. Bourjos 2-4, RBI. Wainwright 1-3, 3 RBIs.
NATIONALS 1 @ DODGERS 4
- WSH – Fister L (12-6) 5 IP, 10 H, 3 ER. Harper 1-4, HR (11), RBI.
- LAD – Kershaw W (17-3) 8 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 8 Ks. Uribe 1-4, HR (7), 2 RBIs. Kemp 1-4, 2B. Gonzalez 2-3, RBI.
TIGERS 4 @ INDIANS 2
- DET – Lobstein (ND) 5.1 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 10 Ks. J. Martinez 3-5, HR (19), 3 RBIs. Davis 3-4, 2B. Cabrera 3-5, 2B. V. Martinez 3-5, 2B.
- CLE – Carrasco (ND) 5.1 IP, 10 H, 1 ER, 10 Ks. Santana 1-3, 2B, 2 RBIs. Brantley 2-4.
MARINERS 6 @ A’S 5
- SEA – Paxton W (5-1) 7.2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER. Seager 1-4, HR (21), 2 RBIs. Chavez 1-1, 2B, 2 RBIs. Morrison 2-4, 2B.
- OAK – Gray L (13-8) 5 IP, 7 H, 6 ER. Gentry 3-4, 2B, 2 RBIs. Norris 2-4, 2B. Moss 1-1, 2B, RBI. Fuld 1-1, 2B, RBI.
Be sure to follow our daily #BLSpicks MLB Plays.
Gael Monfils has yet to drop a set at the 2014 U.S. Open and he cruised into the quarterfinals with an upset of 7th-seeded Grigor Dimitrov on Tuesday. The Frenchman will now face Roger Federer, who also easily won his 4th round match. On the women’s side, Caroline Wozniacki demolished Sara Errani to make it to the semifinals where she’ll meet unseeded Peng Shuai who will be playing in her 1st career Grand Slam semifinal. Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray will battle in the feature match tonight in New York.
U.S. Ryder Cup captain Tom Watson made his captain’s picks Tuesday night and filled out his Ryder Cup team with Keegan Bradley, Hunter Mahan and Webb Simpson. The Ryder Cup will be played September 26th through the 28th at Gleneagles in Scotland.
— Tom Watson (@TomWatsonPGA) September 3, 2014
- Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay has been suspended 6 games and fined $500,000 after pleading guilty to one misdemeanor count of operating a vehicle while intoxicated.
- Michael Sam is expected to sign onto the Dallas Cowboys practice squad pending a physical today.
— NFL (@nfl) September 2, 2014
Just like when we counted down to the World Cup, BLS is counting down the days to the start of the NFL season by bringing you some of the best wives and girlfriends of NFL players past and present. Be sure and click on the link below for the daily pictures as we get closer to kickoff. We are now just 1 day away from the Seahawks and the Packers kicking off the season on September 4th! For more great shots of the lovely ladies click the link below.
As expected, both Georgia and Texas A&M made big jumps in the AP poll after huge wins last weekend.
|1||Florida State (46)||1-0||1,456||1|
|9||Texas A&M (2)||1-0||978||21|
WEDNESDAY’S NOTABLE GAMES (All Times Pacific)
- U.S. Open (Quarterfinals) 9:00 AM ESPN, 4:00 PM ESPN2
- MLB (Mariners @ A’s, Hernandez vs Lester) 12:35 PM (Nationals @ Dodgers) 12:10 PM (Tigers @ Indians) 4:05 PM
- Soccer (Czech Republic vs United States) 11:00 AM NBCSN
Best of Burning Man 2014
The live blog that we ran on Burning Man 2014 has been bigger than we ever expected. We covered the festival from afar, relying on Burners postings to Instagram and Twitter to try to tell the story of how it all went down on the Playa. It was a ton of fun searching through all the tweets, photos and videos to find the best moments, art and events that took place over the 7 days that the party was going down. Somebody proliferated our Blog on Facebook as it has garnered close to 1,000 FB likes and we currently only have a little over 500 people who have “liked” the young BLS page on Facebook. So thanks to whoever brought it to the masses. Please check out our coverage if you haven’t done so already – BURNING MAN 2014 – Best of and Recap
Although we were proud of our coverage, we couldn’t adequately portray what it is like to actually experience the festival. We’d love to make it to the Playa one day and odds are at some point we will muster up the courage to make it happen. For a true look at what it’s like to attend Burning Man, check out this great pictorial story put together by Aly Weisman, a Senior Entertainment Editor at Business Insider, who documented her voyage to Black Rock last year – I Went To Burning Man And It Was Even Crazier Than I Expected.
#SaveMango Lay’s Best Chip Ever!
We have a great new edition to the #SaveMango campaign! Check out this little ditty by Busch League Sports favorites E Hart and Ali Seals! We love it!
The Lay’s “Do US A Flavor” contest is back! More than 14 million Lay’s fans submitted flavors in the nationwide search to come up with the next great chip and unbelievably, one of the 4 final flavors was submitted by a couple who have been longtime friends of all us here at Busch League Sports. Julia Stanley Metz submitted the Mango Salsa flavor that she based off her husband’s (Rick Metz) mango salsa recipe that he makes for their family “Taco Tuesdays”. We’ve all been friends with Julia and Rick since childhood, so for us – there’s only one flavor that matters in this contest. What could be more fun than helping your pals try to win $1 million (the grand prize for winning)? Not much in our book, so here’s how all of you in the Busch League Nation can help us keep Lay’s Wavy Mango Salsa on the shelves.
Each person can cast 4 votes daily by voting 1 time on each of the 4 platforms.
- Visit www.DoUsaFlavor.com and select “Wavy Mango Salsa“
- Text “Mango” to 24477 (C H I P S)
- On Instagram use hashtag #SaveMango (Feel free to copy the picture of the bag above, or the Mango business card below and post to Instagram)
- On Twitter or Vine use hashtag #Save Mango
We at Busch League Sports will help everyone remember to vote daily by leaving these instructions here on the BLS Buffet until the voting ends. The chips are now available on store shelves and will remain there until the contest ends in November, at which time only the winning flavor will remain.
BUSCH LEAGUE SPORTS PODCAST (8-27-14)
- Mo’ne Davis & review of The Little League World Series
- The MTV Video Music Awards
- USC Captain Josh Shaw Heroics or lack thereof
- Burning Man 2014
- (1) Florida St vs Oklahoma St.
- (14) Wisconsin vs (13) LSU
- (16) Clemson @ (12) Georgia
- Boise St. vs (18) Ole Miss
- Rice @ (17) Notre Dame
- Overrated & Underrated Teams
- PAC 12 Preview
BLS also offered beer-soaked insights on topics like; over-covering Little League and earthquakes, wine insurance, Arn-Dog’s DVD’s, sextapes, exposing Jeff Kent’s broken wrist, the Quissel at Burning Man, the BLS approach to attending Burning Man, and bringing in winners! You won’t find this kind of expertise anywhere else. Give us a little feedback on twitter @BuschSports or Facebook Busch League Sports.
ENJOY YOUR WEDNESDAY!!!
From earlier this week in case you missed it:
— Busch League Sports (@BuschSports) September 2, 2014
— Busch League Sports (@BuschSports) August 31, 2014