BLS Water Cooler Cram Session 8/19/14
Who wants to watch an hour of the Mothership and their 1,500 different analysts break down the same game over and over again? We sure don’t (Unless Original #BuschBabe and BLS Favorite Jaymee Sire is anchoring). Here’s what you may have missed in the sports world yesterday.
BRAXTON MILLER OUT FOR THE SEASON?
In a huge blow to Ohio State, quarterback Braxton Miller re-injured his right throwing shoulder in practice on Monday. Miller had minor surgery on the shoulder during the offseason. He is undergoing an MRI today, but there have been numerous reports that Ohio State expects him to be out for the entire 2014 season. The Buckeyes, who are ranked 5th in the 1st AP Poll of the season, were one of the favorites to make it into the 4 team College Football Playoff as they have one of the easiest schedules in the country of any ranked team. If Miller is unable to play, Urban Meyer will have to turn to redshirt freshman J.T. Barrett or sophomore Cardale Jones.
Unbelievably, the Washington Nationals have now won 3 straight games in walk-off fashion. The Hero last night was Adam LaRoche who launched a home run to right in the bottom of the 11th inning to give the Nationals a 5-4 win over the Diamondbacks. The victory was Washington’s 7th straight win and they now lead the National League East by 6 games over the Atlanta Braves.
BRAVES 7 @ PIRATES 3
- ATL – Santana W (13-6) 5.1 IP, 9 H, 3 ER. Heyward 3-4, HR (10), 2 RBIs. Simmons 1-5, HR (6), RBI. Freeman 2-4.
- PIT – Worley L (5-3) 6 IP, 9 H, 5 ER, 8 Ks. Marte 3-4, 2B, 2 HR (8,9), 2 RBIs. Walker 2-3, HR (17), RBI. Snider 2-4, 2B.
D’BACKS 4 @ NATIONALS 5 (in 11)
- ARI – Nuno (ND) 7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 7 Ks. Gregorius 2-5, HR (5), 2 RBIs. Peralta 1-5, HR (6), RBI. Inciarte 1-4, 2B.
- WSH – Zimmermann (ND) 7 IP, 4 H, 3 ER. Ramos 2-4, HR (6), 2 RBIs. LaRoche 1-5, walk-off HR (19), RBI. Rendon 1-5, 3B, RBI.
ANGELS 4 @ RED SOX 2
- LAA – Wilson W (10-8) 5.1 IP, 5 H, 1 ER. Calhoun 2-2, 2B. Trout 2-4, 2B, RBI. Freese 1-3.
- BOS – Workman L (1-7) 7 IP< 6 H, 2 ER. Ortiz 2-3, 2B. Holt 2-4, RBI. Vazquez 2-4.
ORIOLES 8 @ WHITE SOX 2
- BAL – Norris W (11-7) 7 IP, 3 H, 2 ER. Markakis 3-5, HR (11), 2 RBIs. Hardy 2-5, HR (7), RBI. Cruz 1-3, HR (32), RBI. Pearce 3-5, 2 2B, RBI.
- CHW – Sale L (10-3) 6 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 8 Ks. Ramirez 1-4, 2B. Garcia 1-3, 2 RBIs.
ROYALS 6 @ TWINS 4
- KC – Vargas W (10-5) 7 IP, 4 H, 1 ER. Kratz 2-2, 2 HR (5,6), 2 RBIs. Gordon 2-4, 2B. Perez 2-3, 2 RBIs. Butler 2-4, RBI.
- MIN – May L (0-2) 4.2 IP, 7 H, 3 ER. Arcia 2-4, HR (12), RBI. Plouffe1-4, HR (9), 3 RBIs.
Be sure to follow our daily #BLSpicks MLB Plays.
Barclays Premier League
Chelsea overcame an early goal by Burnley and dominated the rest of its opening match in the new Premier League season. Check out this brilliant goal by André Schürrle, off a gorgeous pass from Cesc Fàbregas – an early goal of the season candidate without a doubt.
BURNLEY 1 CHELSEA 3
- (BUR) Arfield 14′, (CHE) Costa 17′, (CHE) Schürrle 21′, (CHE) Ivanović 34′.
English Premier League Preview
Johnny Manziel threw his 1st touchdown pass of his NFL career last night, but made more headlines by flipping off the Washington bench after a play (video below). Neither Manziel nor Brian Hoyer looked very good in the Browns loss and the Cleveland quarterback competition is still a toss-up.
BROWNS 23 @ REDSKINS 24 F
Just like when we counted down to the World Cup, BLS is counting down the days to the start of the NFL season by bringing you some of the best wives and girlfriends of NFL players past and present. Be sure and click on the link below for the daily pictures as we get closer to kickoff. We are now just 16 days away from the Seahawks and the Packers kicking off the season on September 4th! For more great shots of the lovely ladies click the links below.
LITTLE LEAGUE WORLD SERIES
Washington and Rhode Island were eliminated on the American side of the draw yesterday in Williamsport. The highlight of Monday was BLS favorite Jaymee Sire of ESPN taking the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge to get the day started.
- CZECH REPUBLIC 3 SOUTH DAKOTA 5 F
- AUSTRALIA 2 MEXICO 6 F
- TEXAS 11 WASHINGTON 4 F
- VENEZUELA 2 PUERTO RICO 1 F
- ILLINOIS 8 RHODE ISLAND 7 F
- Oklahoma freshman running back Joe Mixon has been suspended from all activities with the football team for the entire season, the university announced Monday. Mixon was charged Friday with misdemeanor assault stemming from an alleged incident in which he was accused of punching a woman in the face. “As the university has demonstrated in the past, we are committed to winning the right way,” athletic director Joe Castiglione and coach Bob Stoops said in a joint statement. “As an example to others, OU sets the highest possible standards for its student-athletes, coaches and staff.” And by others we can only assume that Coach Stoops was referring to the NFL and its piss poor job of punishing women abusers.
- Rafael Nadal pulled out of the US Open on Monday because of an injured right wrist, making him just the 4th reigning men’s champion in the last 45 years to sit out the tournament. Nadal said he expected to be able to return for the US Open itself. But on Monday, he issued a statement on his Facebook page, saying he is “very sorry to announce” he would not play in New York. “I am sure you understand that it is a very tough moment for me since it is a tournament I love and where I have great memories from fans, the night matches, so many things…Not much more I can do right now, other than accept the situation and, as always in my case, work hard in order to be able to compete at the highest level once I am back.”
TUESDAY’S NOTABLE GAMES (All Times Pacific)
- MLB (Braves @ Pirates) 4:05 PM (Blue Jays @ Brewers) 5:10 PM
- Little League World Series (Elimination Games) ESPN, ESPN2
Elin Nordegren Back On The Market
It looks like Tiger Woods’ ex-wife is back on the market. Elin Nordegren has reportedly broken up with billionaire boyfriend Chris Cline after a year of dating, a source told Us Weekly over the weekend. The 34-year-old former model began dating the 54-year-old coal tycoon back in March 2013. This was Nordegren’s 1st serious relationship since she divorced Woods in 2010, following the Thanksgiving fiasco where she reportedly took a 9-iron to Tiger’s head and car, after she found out he was a serial cheater. The source close to Nordegren told Page Six that the pair had simply “drifted apart” and “they didn’t spend enough time together…He has a thriving business and has been traveling a lot.” Elin jetted up to the Hamptons last weekend to get away from it all.
— Page Six (@PageSix) August 16, 2014
We can’t help but wonder if Tiger will consider another run at the mother of his children. After all, we know that golf has always been the most important thing in Tiger’s life and when he was married to Elin his game was never better. Tiger is still dating skier Lindsey Vonn and the couple is said to be very friendly with Elin. Tiger and Rory McIlroy made an appearance on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon last night to promote Nike’s new irons that are being released in October. Rory and Jimmy played the old break the glass game that we’ve seen a million times on the Big Break on Golf Channel. Tiger is still recovering from his most recent back injury and coached Jimmy in the contest. Woods was actually very self-deprecating about his game and showed some good personality, which was a nice departure from the normally robotic Tiger we see during tournaments. Have a look at the fun on The Tonight Show below.
Dude Perfect at Gillette Stadium
As most people know, we’re big fans of trick shots in general and nobody does them better than the Dude Perfect crew. In their latest video, the guys execute their unbelievable trick shots inside Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts. As always, these guys never cease to amaze. Check it out below.
Kate Upton (and Verlander) Ice Bucket Challenge
Thanks to the Todd Fritz from the Dan Patrick show for getting the ball rolling on Kate Upton’s ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. Fritzy nominated Brooklyn Decker, who in turn nominated Kate Upton (and Chrissy Teigan), Upton delivered yesterday along with her man Justin Verlander. Here are the videos from Brooklyn and Kate for all their fans and ALS.
#SaveMango Lay’s Best Chip Ever!
The Lay’s “Do US A Flavor” contest is back! More than 14 million Lay’s fans submitted flavors in the nationwide search to come up with the next great chip and unbelievably, one of the 4 final flavors was submitted by a couple who have been longtime friends of all us here at Busch League Sports. Julia Stanley Metz submitted the Mango Salsa flavor that she based off her husband’s (Rick Metz) mango salsa recipe that he makes for their family “Taco Tuesdays”. We’ve all been friends with Julia and Rick since childhood, so for us – there’s only one flavor that matters in this contest. What could be more fun than helping your pals try to win $1 million (the grand prize for winning)? Not much in our book, so here’s how all of you in the Busch League Nation can help us keep Lay’s Wavy Mango Salsa on the shelves.
Each person can cast 4 votes daily by voting 1 time on each of the 4 platforms.
- Visit www.DoUsaFlavor.com and select “Wavy Mango Salsa“
- Text “Mango” to 24477 (C H I P S)
- On Instagram use hashtag #SaveMango (Feel free to copy the picture of the bag above, or the Mango business card below and post to Instagram)
- On Twitter or Vine use hashtag #Save Mango
We at Busch League Sports will help everyone remember to vote daily by leaving these instructions here on the BLS Buffet until the voting ends. The chips are now available on store shelves and will remain there until the contest ends in November, at which time only the winning flavor will remain.
BUSCH LEAGUE SPORTS CONVERSATION with TED GRIGGS (8-7-14)
The Busch Leaguers could not have been more excited to welcome Comcast Sports Net Bay Area President, Ted Griggs, for a conversation and clinic on the sports television industry. Ted is regularly at the top of the annual “Most Powerful People in Bay Area Sports” lists. He has grown the CSN Bay Area brand and overseen live television production for the San Francisco Giants, the Oakland Athletics, the San Jose Sharks, the Golden State Warriors, the San Jose Earthquakes and now – the Sacramento Kings. It was an honor to have Ted share his vast knowledge and insights with The Busch League Nation! Enjoy!
- The Sacramento Kings Deal with CSN Bay Area
- Plans for the Sacramento Kings Television Production
- Pre Game and Post Game Production in Sacramento
- The Longevity and Exclusivity of the Deal with the Kings
- The New Sacramento Arena and Trying New Technology with the Kings
- NBA Territorial Rights
- Winning Teams Helping the Sports TV Industry
- How National Deals affect Local Deals
- The Strength of Sports TV/Communal Viewing/DVR Proof
- Sharing TV Money/Competitive Balance
- Keeping Viewers when Teams have Off Years
- Thoughts on Building Busch League Sports
BUSCH LEAGUE SPORTS CONVERSATION with PHIL SCHOEN (8-5-14)
The Busch Leaguers were lucky enough to be joined by one of the most recognizable voices in soccer, Phil Schoen, the man who describes the action to all of America from Europe’s top leagues such as – La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue 1. For all of the new American soccer fans still learning the ins-and-outs of European club football, Phil regularly calls games involving Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Zlatan Ibrahimović. Phil, along with his partner Ray Hudson, are two of the most famous soccer commentators in the world. We couldn’t have been more excited to chat with him about the beautiful game.
THE BUSCH LEAGUERS AND PHIL SCHOEN DISCUSS:
- The Summer of Soccer in America
- Rivalries Between the World’s Top Leagues
- Major League Soccer Expansion (Sacramento Republic FC)
- The Beckham Effect
- The End of the Tiki-Taka Era
- Barclays Premier League vs La Liga Popularity
- Real Madrid – Barcelona – Atletico Madrid – Previews
- PSG – Bayern Munich – Roma – Intrigue
BUSCH LEAGUE SPORTS PODCAST (8-4-14)
- The Rory McIlroy Era and New Look
- Tiger Woods Injuries/Acting/Steroids
- Dustin Johnson & Paulina Gretzky’s Cocaine Problem
- PGA Tour Drug Policies and Culture
- The MLB Trade Deadline (A’s & Tigers add Aces)
- The Giants 2nd Base & Home Field Problems
- Levi’s Stadium’s Early Issues
- Big American Crowds For European Soccer
BLS also offered beer-soaked insights on topics like; Earl’s re-feeding, taking a 9-iron to the temple, Elin’s Swedish fury, Hoe-Phones, appearances on TheDirty.com, doing drugs in Port-O-Pottys, Ginger quarterbacks, bad wi-fi in stadiums, and soccer starved immigrants. You won’t find this kind of expertise anywhere else. Give us a little feedback on twitter @BuschSports or Facebook Busch League Sports.
ENJOY YOUR TUESDAY!!!
From earlier this week in case you missed it:
— Busch League Sports (@BuschSports) August 18, 2014
— Busch League Sports (@BuschSports) August 18, 2014