BLS Water Cooler Cram Session 5/16/14
Who wants to watch an hour of the Mothership and their 1,500 different analysts break down the same game over and over again? We sure don’t (Unless Original #BuschBabe and BLS Favorite Jaymee Sire is anchoring). Here’s what you may have missed in the sports world yesterday.
THE PREAKNESS STAKES
Busch League Sports has all your coverage for the 139th running of the Preakness Stakes on Saturday.
- BLS handicapping expert, Red Ryder dropped his thoughts on the race, betting the race and gave horse by horse analysis yesterday in, PREAKNESS STAKES: The BLS Comprehensive Field Guide and Betting Preview. Check it out and find yourself a winning ticket on Saturday.
- Earl wrote a great story about the debauchery that goes on at InfieldFest at Pimlico Race Course. Lorde will be playing for the near 100,000 drunkards that show up to party there on this weekend. Have a look at Wire to “The Wire” – Partying at Pimlico for the Freaky Preakness, at some point today. It’ll entertain you and get you inspired for the weekend.
Post Positions and (M/L) Odds
|1. Dynamic Impact||Mena||12-1|
|2. General a Rod||Castellano||15-1|
|3. California Chrome||Espinoza||3-5|
|4. Ring Weekend||Garcia||20-1|
|6. Ria Antonia||Borel||30-1|
|7. Kid Cruz||Pimentel||20-1|
|8. Social Inclusion||Contreras||5-1|
|9. Pablo Del Monte||Sanchez||20-1|
|10. Ride On Curlin||Rosario||10-1|
BUSCH LEAGUE SPORTS PODCAST (5-15-14)
Your Thursday edition of the Busch League Sports Podcast is now available for download on iTunes. Kill an hour at work today and have a listen.
The Busch Leaguers drop some “Opinions Under the Influence” on:
- The Preakness Stakes & The Triple Crown
- PGA Tour (Byron Nelson Championship)
- The Homogenization of the PGA Tour
- Donald Sterling
- European Football
- Steve Kerr to GSW Hoops
- The Upcoming Weekly BLS Awards
BLS also offered beer-soaked insights on topics like the InfieldFest at Pimlico, Porta-Potty Hurdles, Swedish DJs, David Duval’s sunglasses, and voyages to South Beach, Miami. You won’t find this kind of expertise anywhere else. Give us a little feedback on twitter @BuschSports or Facebook Busch League Sports.
NBA PLAYOFFS (For Box Scores Click Here)
The Final Four in the NBA is now set as the Heat will face off with the Pacers in Indiana on Sunday in game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals, while the Thunder will be in San Antonio to take on the Spurs on Monday in game 1 of the Western Conference finals. Have a look at the celebrations of the Pacers and Thunder yesterday after their series clinching wins, Kevin Durant even gave his shoes to Bubba Watson after the game (for some unknown reason).
WIZARDS 80 @ PACERS 93 (IND WINS 4-2)
- IND – David West 29 pts, 6 rebs. Lance Stephenson 17 pts (8-13 FGs) 5 rebs, 8 asts. TEAM: (51% FGs)
- WAS – Marcin Gortat 19 pts. Bradley Beal 16 pts (7-19 FGs). Nene Hilario 15 pts. TEAM: (2-11 3 Ps 11%)
CLIPPERS 98 @ THUNDER 104 (OKC WINS 4-2)
- OKC – Kevin Durant 39 pts (10-10 FTs) 16 rebs. Russell Westbrook 19 pts, 12 asts. TEAM: (29-33 FTs 87%)
- LA – Chris Paul 25 pts 11 asts. Blake Griffin 22 pts, 8 rebs, 8 asts. DeAndre Jordan 9 pts, 15 rebs. TEAM: (6-21 3 Ps 28%)
For playoff gambling tips be sure and check out our daily #BLSPicks NBA Playoff Plays.
- Donald Sterling and his lawyers have proclaimed that Donald has done nothing wrong and won’t be paying the NBA fine. They’ve also threatened to sue and blah blah blah blah. This battle for the Clippers is going to drag on forever. It should be interesting to see what happens next season with the NBA Players (some of who have threatened to boycott) if Sterling still owns the Clippers
NHL PLAYOFFS (For Coverage Click Here)
- The Kings and the Ducks will go at it tonight in Anaheim, in game 7 of their Western Conference Semifinal series, for a place in the final four of the NHL Playoffs.
Mike Trout has already nearly done it all in his short, 2+ year Major League career; however, he still had not hit a walk-off home run until last night when he blasted a 3-run shot in the 9th to give the Angles the victory over the Rays.
- PIRATES 3 @ BREWERS 4 — MIL – Gallardo (ND) 6.1 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 6 Ks. Weeks 3-4, 2B, HR (1). Davis walk-off 2RBI single. PIT – T. Sanchez HR (1), 2 RBIs.
- PADRES 0 @ REDS 5 — CIN – Cueto W (4-2) CG, 3 H, 0 ER, 8 Ks. Phillips 2-5, 2B, HR (3), 3 RBIs. Cozart 3-4, 2 RBIs. SD – Kennedy L (2-5) 6 IP, 11 H, 5 ER.
- MARLINS 4 @ GIANTS 6 — SF – Cain W (1-3) 7.2 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 7 Ks. Morse 3-4, HR (10), 3 RBIs. MIA – Eovaldi L (2-2) 4.1 IP, 9 H, 6 ER.
- RED SOX 3 @ TWINS 4 — MIN – Hughes (ND) 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 8 Ks. Parmelee 1-5, HR (2), 2 RBIs. BOS – Buchholz (ND) 6 IP, 10 H, 3 ER.
- ORIOLES 2 @ ROYALS 1 — BAL – Chen W (5-2) 5.1 IP, 7 H, 1 ER. Cruz HR (12), Markakis 3-4. KC – Ventura L (2-3) 6.1 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 9 Ks.
- RAYS 5 @ ANGELS 6 — LAA – Trout 1-4, 3-run walk-off HR (8), Cowgill 2-5, RBI. TB – Guyer 2-3, HR (1), 2 RBIs. Loney 2-4, 2 RBIs.
Be sure to follow our daily #BLSpicks MLB Plays.
Byron Nelson Championship (1st Round)
Sweden’s Peter Hanson led the Byron Nelson after the 1st round at the TPC Four Seasons, but the real story is former world #1 David Duval, who was only one shot back. Duval has not been in contention in any tournament on tour for the better part of a decade and he almost didn’t tee off on Thursday because of pain in his elbow. It’s a good thing that he decided to give it a go. It will be fun to see if he can hang around anywhere near the top of the leaderboard this weekend.
|Pos||Player||To Par||Rd 1|
|T13||Charles Howell III||-2||68|
|T13||Miguel Angel Carballo||-2||68|
- Sources have reported that Lionel Messi has agreed to a restructured contract at Barcelona that will give the world’s top player another raise. Messi’s current deal ends in June 2018 and contains a 250 million euro release clause, those details remain unchanged, but Spanish newspaper El Pais claims he will receive a pay-rise from 13 million euros to 20 million euros ($27 million) net a season, not including incentives. Messi’s Barcelona squad will take on Atletico Madrid on Saturday in the last game of the season, needing a win for the La Liga title. Atletico needs only a draw to lift the trophy.
As a reminder BLS is running a Countdown to the World Cup on a daily basis by bringing you some of the best wives and girlfriends of players involved in Brazil 2014. We are now 26 days away from kickoff, so make sure you countdown with us, as we add to this distinguished list. Countdown: Wags of World Cup 2014.
- Nicole Holder says in court documents that a “short-lived” relationship with rapper/entertainer Nelly led to the domestic violence incident involving Carolina Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy.
AMGEN TOUR OF CALIFORNIA
Stage 5 (Pismo Beach to Santa Barbara)
- Taylor Phinney takes stage 5 of the Amgen Tour of California. Bradley Wiggins still holds onto overall lead.
FRIDAY’S NOTABLE GAMES (All Times Pacific)
- PGA Tour (Byron Nelson Championship, 2nd Round) 12:00 PM Golf Channel
- Cycling (Tour of California, Stage 6, Santa Clarita to Mountain High) 2 PM NBCSN
- NHL Playoffs (Kings @ Ducks, Game 7) 6:00 PM NBCSN
- MLB (Brewers @ Cubs, Lohse vs Samardzija) 11:20 AM (Tigers @ Red Sox, Scherzer vs Lester) 4:10 PM (Braves @ Cardinals, Santana vs Lynn) 5:15 PM
Playboy’s Playmate of the Year
Hugh Hefner announced Thursday that Kennedy Summers is Playboy’s Playmate of the Year. Apparently Summers is not just a pretty face, she holds a bachelor’s degree in anthropology, a master’s degree in health administration and she’s working her way through medical school with plans to become a plastic surgeon. For winning the prestigious honor Summers receives: $100,000 in prize money; an Oris Artelier Date Diamonds watch, featuring a multi-piece stainless steel case set with 72 diamonds; and a one-year lease on a MINI John Cooper Works Roadster. Pictures (and video) are usually better than words in these situations. Let’s take a look!
— Hugh Hefner (@hughhefner) May 15, 2014
ENJOY YOUR WEEKEND!!!
From earlier this week, in case you missed it:
— R-O (@DJ_R_O) May 15, 2014
— R-O (@DJ_R_O) May 14, 2014
— R-O (@DJ_R_O) May 13, 2014
— R-O (@DJ_R_O) May 12, 2014