BLS Water Cooler Cram Session 4/24/14
Who wants to watch an hour of the Mothership and their 1,500 different analysts break down the same game over and over again? We sure don’t (Unless Original #BuschBabe and BLS Favorite Jaymee Sire is anchoring). Here’s what you may have missed in the sports world yesterday.
WTF WAS MICHAEL PINEDA THINKING?
YANKEES 1 @ RED SOX 5
For some unknown reason, Yankees starter Michael Pineda decided to tempt fate again last night. Just 2 weeks after most of America saw him with a gob of pine tar on the palm of his hand during his start at Yankee Stadium, Pineda was at it again Wednesday and this time he was even more obvious. There’s an unwritten rule in baseball where a pitcher can use a little pine tar to help with grip on the ball as long as they hide it in a spot that isn’t completely obvious. Some pitchers put it inside their belt, somewhere on their hat, or even in their hair if they’ve got a greasy look going. Red Sox manager John Farrell declined to press the issue when Pineda had pine tar on his hand 2 weeks ago but the pine tar smudge on Pineda’s neck was so obvious and noticeable this time, Farrell had no choice but to ask home plate umpire Gerry Davis to check the substance. Davis walked out to the mound, touched the tar on the Yankee pitcher’s neck, said, “that’s pine tar”, and ejected Pineda in the 2nd inning. I shot some video on the Busch League Sports Instagram moments before Farrell inquired about the substance. Your guess is as good as mine, as to why Pineda was even more obvious in cheating Wednesday, it’s like he wanted to get caught. This time he did and he also took the loss as the Red Sox touched him up for 2 runs in 1 2/3 innings. He’ll likely be facing a 5-10 game suspension from MLB as well.
NBA PLAYOFFS GAME 2 (For Box Scores Click Here)
TRAILBLAZERS (5) 112 @ ROCKETS (4) 105 (POR LEAD 2-0)
For the 2nd straight game, LaMarcus Aldridge could not be stopped by the Houston Rockets. He became just the 3rd player in NBA history to score 40+ points in the first two games of a playoff series on the road, as he put in 43 to lead the Blazers to a commanding 2-0 series lead going back home to Portland. Aldridge must have felt at home in his native Texas because seemingly everything he’s thrown at the hoop has gone down in the first 2 games. He finished 18-28 from the field and 7-8 from the line and also added 8 rebounds. His point guard Damian Lillard helped out with a great all-around game adding 18 points, 8 rebounds and 11 assists, even though he was just 3-14 from the floor. Dwight Howard had a big game for the Rockets with 32 points and 14 rebounds but Houston finds itself in a deep hole going to the northwest.
BOBCATS (8) 97 @ HEAT (1) 101 (MIA LEAD 2-0)
Lebron James again led the Heat with 32 points and 8 assists Wednesday night to take a 2-0 lead in their Eastern Conference 1st-round series vs. Charlotte. The Heat twice blew big leads in the game, but held on when Dwyane Wade stripped the ball from Chris Douglas-Roberts, protecting a 3-point lead with about 3 seconds left to go. Wade added 15 points and Chris Bosh had 20 for Miami. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist scored 22 points for the Bobcats, while Al Jefferson, who played through a left plantar fascia strain, had 18 points and 13 rebounds. The series now moves to Charlotte for game 3.
MAVERICKS (8) 113 @ SPURS (1) 92 (TIED 1-1)
The Mavericks finally snapped a 10-game losing streak against the Spurs and took over home court advantage in evening their 1st-round series at a game apiece. Monta Ellis led the Mavs with 21 points and 4 other players scored in double figures as Dallas never trailed after the opening minutes of the 2nd quarter. Manu Ginobili had 27 points for the Spurs but the other two members of the big 3 Parker and Duncan could only muster 12 and 11 points respectively. The series now moves upstate to Dallas for game 3.
NHL PLAYOFFS (For Coverage Click Here)
PENGUINS 3 @ BLUE JACKETS 4 OT (TIED 2-2)
Pittsburgh and Columbus love the 4-3 result. Every game of the series so far has ended 4-3. Wednesday’s result went to Columbus as Brandon Dubinsky scored with 22.5 seconds left in regulation to force overtime. Blue Jackets forward Nick Foligno’s wrist shot from just inside the blue line 2 minutes 49 seconds into the extra session then gave the upstart Blue Jackets the victory. Columbus overcame a 3-0 deficit for their first home playoff victory in the franchise’s 13 seasons, sending the series back to Pittsburgh for Game 5 on Saturday night tied 2-2.
BLUES 3 @ BLACKHAWKS 4 OT (TIED 2-2)
St. Louis and Chicago played into overtime for the 3rd time in 4 games on Wednesday and this time the Blackhawks came out on top. Patrick Kane scored his second goal of the tilt 11 minutes and 17 seconds into overtime winning it for Chicago, which tied its 1st-round playoff series with the Blues at 2. Here’s the game winner below.
- DUCKS 2 @ STARS 4 (TIED 2-2) — Fiddler goal, assist, Goligoski & Eakin goal each.
GIANTS 12 @ ROCKIES 10 in 11
Coors field played like Coors field on Wednesday afternoon as the Giants pulled out a slug-fest in 11 innings. San Francisco hit 6 home runs including 2 titanic shots by Michael Morse, each of which traveled over 450 feet, and 2 by Hector Sanchez including a go ahead Grand Slam in the 11th. Colorado added 3 home runs of their own. Here’s video of the Morse 3-run shot in the 3rd and the grand slam by Sanchez in the 11th.
- PHILLIES 2 @ DODGERS 5 — Greinke W (4-0) 7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 11 Ks, Puig 2-4 2 RBIs.
- RANGERS 3 @ A’S 0 — Perez W (4-0) CG, 3 H, 0 ER, 3 Ks.
- ANGELS 4 @ NATIONALS 5 — WAS – 4 runs in the 9th, LaRoche walk-off single.
Be sure to follow our daily #BLSpicks MLB Plays.
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMIFINALS (1ST LEG)
REAL MADRID 1 BAYERN MUNICH 0
All eyes in the soccer world were on the Spanish city of Madrid last night, as the European Champions FC Bayern Munich were led by Pep Guardiola into a volatile Santiago Bernabeu for the Wednesday night edition of the Champions League semi-final. At the outset of the game, Bayern marched forward with all of the earmarks of a Guardiola-drilled side; short, tight passing angles, reams of possession, creative exchanges and a haranguing press. Meanwhile, Carlo Ancelotti set up his Real side in a cagey fashion, ready to soak up pressure and counterpunch quickly. Ancelotti’s side executed early when Bayern slipped up in possession, and Karim Benzema finished up a beautiful Fabio Coentrao cross. Though the Bavarians managed more and more possession as the game wore on, the Madrid midfield duo of Luka Modric and Xabi Alonso managed to disrupt the supply line for the Bayern attack and also provide link-up play for the Real Madrid fast break. After being asked some probing questions by the Munich attack, the resolute defense held until the whistle, allowing Los Merengues to take a 1-0 advantage to Munich. For now, Ancelotti’s smash-and-grab strategy has negated the fluidity of the attack and firepower finishing that Guardiola has installed at Bayern. (Courtesy of Earl)
As a reminder BLS is running a Countdown to the World Cup on a daily basis by bringing you some of the best wives and girlfriends of players involved in Brazil 2014. We are now 48 days away from kickoff, so make sure you countdown with us, as we add to this distinguished list. Countdown: Wags of World Cup 2014.
- The NFL released their 2014 schedule on Wednesday evening. The season will open on Thursday, September 4th in Seattle, where the Super Bowl champion Seahawks will take on the Green Bay Packers in a rematch of the “fail mary” game from 2 years ago. Like the last couple of years, there will be a double-header on the 1st Monday of the season, September 8th, when the New York Football Giants will host the Detroit Lions in the 1st game followed by the Arizona Cardinals traveling to San Diego to take on the Chargers. The match-up that everybody will be waiting for will not go down until week 13 when the Seahawks will travel to San Francisco on Thanksgiving, November 27th. The Niners will then go to Seattle just 2 weeks later. Here’s the full 2014 NFL schedule.
- So maybe RUSSELL WILSON doesn’t walk on water after all. He’s apparently filed for divorce from his wife of just over 2 years and in an odd move released the news through the Seahawks? I can’t remember a team ever releasing a statement regarding a player’s divorce but Seattle did on Wilson’s behalf Wednesday. “I have made the difficult decision to file for divorce,” Wilson said. “Clearly, decisions like these don’t come easy. Ashton and I respectfully ask for prayers, understanding and privacy during this difficult time. Moving forward, I will have no further comment on this matter.” This move is so Russell Wilson, trying to elicit sympathy and understanding from the general public for a private divorce. This guy is so overly concerned with his image, it’s sickening. At what point is this guy going to stop with the phony choir boy act? Maybe this is a start.
COLLEGE HOOPS NEWS
- Kentucky’s frontline is going to be downright scary next season as forward ALEX POYTHRESS announced he will be returning to Lexington to play alongside big men WILLIE CAULEY-STEIN, MARCUS LEE, and 2 heralded frontline freshman that Coach Calipari has coming in. The HARRISON TWINS have yet to announce if they will enter the draft as the deadline to do so is Sunday.
- In his first match at the Barcelona Open 2nd seeded DAVID FERRER lost 6-4, 6-2 to Russian, TEYMURAZ GABASHVILI. Top seeded RAFAEL NADAL struggled, but eventually beat fellow Spaniard, ALBERT RAMOS, 7-6 6-4.
THURSDAY’S NOTABLE GAMES (All Times Pacific)
- PGA TOUR (Zurich Classic 1st Round) 12:00 PM Golf Channel
- NBA Playoffs (Pacers @ Hawks) 4:00 PM NBATV (Thunder @ Grizzlies) 5:00 PM TNT (Clippers @ Warriors) 7:30 PM TNT
- NHL Playoffs (Bruins @ Red Wings) 5:00 PM NBCSN (Avalanche @ Wild) 6:30 PM CNBC (Sharks @ KIngs) 7:30 PM NBCSN
- MLB (Yankees @ Red Sox) 4:10 PM (Phillies @ Dodgers) 7:10 PM
Rappers and fake gangsters (like Bieber) are losing their minds. They’re now scrambling and hustling to figure out an avenue to get their next fix. Pharmaceutical company Actavis, threw a giant wrench into their lives Wednesday when it announced that it would no longer produce Promethazine Codeine, a high-end cough syrup that happens to be the key ingredient in sizzurp. You know “Purple Drank”, Codeine mixed with soda and usually a jolly rancher for flavor, that is drink/drug of choice of Lil Wayne, Justin Bieber and Jamarcus Russell among many others. TMZ reports Actavis, has decided the negative attention the Codeine has received has become too much, “Given (recent media attention), Actavis has made the bold and unprecedented decision to cease all production and sales of its Promethazine Codeine product. “This attention has glamorized the unlawful and dangerous use of the product, which is contrary to its approved indication.” There is one rapper who’s not at all worried about this recent decision though, Soulja Boy is stocked up and ready to roll for a while. Here’s a picture he posted to Instagram this week with the caption; Soulja got the juice. They say the streets dry I say you gotta be kiddin me. I serve everybody.
A Pint sized bottle of the drug usually retails for approximately $800 on the street, however sources told TMZ the company’s decision to stop production of the product will increase its value dramatically. TMZ had a report that one unnamed rapper offered his dealer up to $100,000 to get him whatever he could after the news came down. On a personal level, I’ve had the Codeine straight a couple of times when I had a bad cough. To say it knocked me senseless would be an understatement. Talk about some weird dreams. Yikes.
ENJOY YOUR THURSDAY!!!
From earlier this week, in case you missed it:
— R-O (@DJ_R_O) April 23, 2014
— R-O (@DJ_R_O) April 22, 2014
— R-O (@DJ_R_O) April 21, 2014